Bachelor of Science (B.S.) Major in Journalism (Digital Media Concentration)
Minimum required: 120 semester credit hours
- Any student admitted to Texas State University with an overall GPA of at least a 2.25 and a “C” or higher in MC 1301 will automatically be admitted to their selected major in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication. If a student does not meet these requirements upon admission, they will be temporarily classified as a pre-major in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication. As soon as the student meets any missing requirements, they will be admitted to their selected major in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication.
The general education core curriculum courses are listed in the degree plan below along with the statewide component code number. See the General Education Core Curriculum section of this catalog for the Texas State requirements and options in the core curriculum, including Honors courses.
- All students seeking B.S. or B.A. degrees within the School of Journalism and Mass Communication must complete ENG 1310, ENG 1320 and COMM 1310 or their equivalent courses to meet degree requirements. Most students will meet these requirements through their general education core curriculum.
- In addition to the general education core curriculum, this major requires three additional hours of English literature, three hours of math/science/logic/computer science courses and a minor.
- Students must select a minor from the approved list of Undergraduate Minors.
For transfer students, 12 semester credit hours (7 additional hour may also be acceptable at Texas State) may be transferred from a Texas public institution of higher education for the Communication Field of Study Sub-Area Journalism/Mass Communication and be applied to the Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Journalism at Texas State University. More information about the Field of Study is available in the Academic Policies section of this catalog. The transferable Texas Common Course Number (TCCN) is listed below the Texas State University course number in the following course list.
Course List Code Title Hours Competency Area 1 choose 3 hours from the following: 3 Introduction to Mass CommunicationTCCN: COMM 1307 Competency Area 2 choose 3 hours from the following: 3 Media WritingTCCN: COMM 2311 Competency Area 3 choose 3 hours from the following: 3MC ELNATCCN: COMM 1316MC ELNATCCN: COMM 1336MC ELNATCCN: COMM 2303MC ELNATCCN: COMM 2315MC ELNATCCN: COMM 2324MC ELNATCCN: COMM 2332 Competency Area 4 choose 3 hours from the following: 3MC ELNATCCN: COMM 1335MC ELNATCCN: COMM 2300MC ELNATCCN: COMM 2302 Total Hours 12
- All students in this degree program must earn a "C" or higher in each of three core courses in Mass Communication, which include:
Course List Code Title Hours MC 1301 Introduction to Mass Communication 3 MC 4301 Media Law and Ethics 3 MC 4381 Fundamentals of Digital and Online Media 3
- All students in this degree program must earn a "C" or higher in all prerequisite courses and in MC 4386.
|COMM 1310 (Component Area Option Code 090/091)||3|
|ENG 1310 (Communication Component Code 010)||3|
|ENG 1320 (Communication Component Code 010)||3|
|Mathematics Component Code 0201||3|
|POSI 2310 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070)||3|
|POSI 2320 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070)||3|
|ART 2313, DAN 2313, MU 2313, or TH 2313 (Creative Arts Component Code 050)||3|
|Social and Behavioral Sciences Component Code 080||3|
|ENG Literature (Component Area Option Code 090/094)||3|
|PHIL 1305 or 1320 (Language, Philosophy, and Culture Component Code 040)||3|
|Life and Physical Sciences Component Code 030||6|
|American History Component Code 060||6|
|Computer Science, Logic, Mathematics or science1||3|
|Select six hours from the following:||6|
|Select one of the following:||1|
|Total Hours: 120|
Any mathematics course from the general education core curriculum Mathematics Component may be chosen except MATH 1316.