Financial Aid and Scholarships

J.C. Kellam Building Room 240

Contact Us: TXST One Stop
Telephone: 512-245-8978

Texas State makes every effort to help students who need assistance in paying for the cost of their education. Interested students should contact Financial Aid and Scholarships or visit the office’s website to view the types of assistance that are available.

Federal and State Aid Programs

Texas State participates in both federal and state financial aid programs. Students with sufficient financial need can benefit from such grants as the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, TEACH Grant, Iraq-Afghanistan Service Grant, TEXAS Grant, Texas State Tuition Grant and Texas Public Educational Grant. Aid is offered in the form of grants, work study, student and parent loans, and scholarships.

Applying for Financial Aid

To apply for financial aid, a student must complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at and include the Texas State University school code – 003615.


  • January 15 is the priority date for filing a FAFSA for the upcoming academic year (fall and spring). If the deadline is missed, a student may still apply and receive some forms of assistance such as the Pell Grant and student loans.
  • March 1 is the priority deadline for filing the separate summer financial aid application prior to the upcoming summer semester. This separate summer application, which can be found online at, is in addition to filing the appropriate year’s FAFSA.
  • For scholarship deadline information, visit

Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements

Federal regulations require students to meet certain minimum academic standards in order to remain eligible for financial assistance. The requirements are that a student:

  1. maintain a minimum cumulative Texas State GPA;
  2. complete at least 67 percent of all coursework; and
  3. not exceed a maximum limit of attempted hours toward their degree.

Additional program-specific requirements also exist. View these SAP criteria in more detail at by selecting Financial Aid from the menu and then Maintain My Eligibility.

Courses Counting

The federal government requires that a student's aid eligibility only be based on those courses that count toward the completion of the student's degree. So to be considered a full-time student for financial aid purposes, a student would want to enroll in 12 credit hours as an undergraduate (or 9 credit hours as a graduate) that count toward their degree. Remember, to be eligible for most financial aid, a student only needs to be enrolled at least half-time (6 hours for undergraduates and 5 hours for graduates). For more details, visit, select Financial Aid from the menu and then Receive My Aid.

Alternative Loan Resources

For information on alternative loans, visit, select Financial Aid from the menu and then Types of Aid.

Official Withdrawals and Financial Aid

If a student withdraws or is expelled from the university on or prior to the 60-percent point of the semester, the student is required to repay any unearned portion of federal Title IV aid. For more details, visit, select Financial Aid from the menu and then Withdrawing & Attendance.

Unofficial Withdrawals and Financial Aid

If a student is a federal financial aid recipient and fails to receive earned grades (e.g., all U's, all I's or a combination of all U's, W's or I's) in courses that span the entire period the student is scheduled to complete during a semester, the student is considered to have unofficially withdrawn from the university. As a result, a federal withdrawal calculation must be performed to determine the amount of Title IV funds that the student must repay. For more details, visit, select Financial Aid from the menu and then Withdrawing & Attendance.

Non-Attendance and Financial Aid

If the student is a Pell Grant, Iraq-Afghanistan Service Grant (IASG) or TEACH Grant recipient, federal regulations require the student to have begun attending the courses for which the student is enrolled and receiving these grants. If on the census date roster (e.g., 12th class day of each fall and spring semester) the student is reflected as not attending a course, the student is assumed (for financial aid purposes) not to have begun attendance for that course. The student’s grant will then be adjusted or cancelled based on the courses the student has actually begun attending. If the student is receiving any other forms of federal or state financial aid, this aid may also require adjustment due to the revised enrollment status. For more details, visit, select Financial Aid from the menu and then Withdrawing & Attendance.

To Withdraw

The student must submit the Online University Withdrawal form available via the University Registrar's Office. Financial aid recipients should speak with a Financial Aid and Scholarships representative before the withdrawal is processed. The withdrawal date is defined as the date on which a student first indicates his or her intent to withdraw.