Bachelor of Science (B.S.) Major in Interdisciplinary Studies (Teacher Certification in Generalist, Grades 4-8)
Minimum required: 123 semester credit hours
- All students pursuing teacher certification must apply and be accepted to the Office of Educator Preparation.
- A 2.5 Major GPA and a 2.75 Overall GPA are required to graduate.
- All major courses as well as Pedagogy and Professional Responsibility courses must be completed with a grade of “C” or higher.
- Students entering Texas State with fewer than 16 hours completed after high school graduation will be required to take US 1100. All others will be exempt from taking this course but will be required to earn an additional free elective, if needed, to reach the 120 minimum total hour requirement for the awarding of a degree.
- Any degree program of 122 hours or more may be considered a five-year program. To complete the predetermined sequence of courses in 4 years, students will most likely need to attend summer sessions.
The general education core curriculum courses are listed in the degree plan below along with the statewide component code number. See the General Education Core Curriculum section of this catalog for the Texas State requirements and options in the core curriculum, including Honors courses.
The Texas Education Agency (TEA) requires multiple background checks for progression through the Educator Preparation Program. Based on information recorded in your criminal history, you may be ineligible for issuance of a teaching certificate upon completion of the Educator Preparation Program. If you have a criminal history, you may obtain a Preliminary Criminal History Evaluation from TEA. For more information, go to: https://tea.texas.gov/Texas_Educators/Investigations/Preliminary_Criminal_History_Evaluation-FAQs/.
|ART 2313, DAN 2313, MU 2313, or TH 2313 (Creative Arts Component Code 050)||3|
|COMM 1310 (Component Area Option Code 090/091)||3|
|ENG 1310 (Communication Component Code 010)||3|
|ENG 1320 (Communication Component Code 010)||3|
|POSI 2310 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070)||3|
|POSI 2320 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070)||3|
|Social and Behavioral Sciences Component Code 080||3|
|Choose one of the following (Life and Physical Sciences Component Code 030):||6|
|American History Component Code 060||6|
|PHIL 1305 or 1320 (Language, Philosophy, and Culture Component Code 040)||3|
|Advanced level GEO, HIST, POSI, ECO, SOCI or ANTH||3|
|PHYS 1340 or 1350||3|
|Middle School Field-Based Block:||6|
|Total Hours: 123|
While not recommended, previously completed courses in some areas can be substituted for the following degree requirements.