Bachelor of Science (B.S.) Major in Education (Elementary Education; Teacher Certification in Early Childhood through Grade Six Core Subjects with English as a Second Language)
Minimum required: 124 semester credit hours
- All degree programs within the Department of Curriculum and Instruction require formal admittance into the Educator Preparation Program.
- Students must apply and be admitted to the Educator Preparation Program in order to enroll in Block coursework and Student Teaching in the Junior and Senior year. Refer to the requirements for Admittance to the Educator Preparation Program through the Office of Educator Preparation.
- The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree with a major in Interdisciplinary Studies program requires admission to the university and admission to the program. Information about the program admissions can be found at: http://mycatalog.txstate.edu/undergraduate/education/curriculum-instruction/#admissionstext
- A 2.5 Major GPA and a 2.75 Overall GPA are required to graduate.
- All Major as well as Pedagogy and Professional Responsibility courses must be completed with a grade of “C” or higher.
- Students entering Texas State with fewer than 16 hours completed after high school graduation will be required to take US 1100. All others will be exempt from taking this course but will be required to earn an additional free elective, if needed, to reach the 120 minimum total hour requirement for the awarding of a degree.
- Any degree program of 122 hours or more may be considered a five-year program. To complete the predetermined sequence of courses in 4 years, students will most likely need to attend summer sessions.
The general education core curriculum courses are listed in the degree plan below along with the statewide component code number. See the General Education Core Curriculum section of this catalog for the Texas State requirements and options in the core curriculum, including Honors courses.
The Texas Education Agency (TEA) requires multiple background checks for progression through the Educator Preparation Program. Based on information recorded in your criminal history, you may be ineligible for issuance of a teaching certificate upon completion of the Educator Preparation Program. If you have a criminal history, you may obtain a Preliminary Criminal History Evaluation from TEA. For more information, go to: https://tea.texas.gov/Texas_Educators/Investigations/Preliminary_Criminal_History_Evaluation-FAQs/.
|ART 2313, DAN 2313, MU 2313, or TH 2313 (Creative Arts Component Code 050)||3|
|COMM 1310 (Component Area Option Code 090/091)||3|
|ENG 1310 (Communication Component Code 010)||3|
|ENG 1320 (Communication Component Code 010)||3|
|MATH 1315 or 1319 (Mathematics Component Code 020)1||3|
|Choose one of the following (Life and Physical Sciences Component Code 030):||6|
|POSI 2310 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070)||3|
|POSI 2320 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070)||3|
|Select two of the following:||6|
|ESS 3321 or PH 3321||3|
|ENG Literature (Component Area Option Code 090/094)||3|
|GEO 1310 (Social and Behavioral Sciences Component Code 080)||3|
|American History Component Code 060||6|
|PHIL 1305 or 1320 (Language, Philosophy, and Culture Component Code 040)||3|
|Elementary Field-Based Block:||9|
|EDST 4687 (Student Teaching)||6|
|Total Hours: 124|
While not recommended, previously completed courses in some areas can be substituted for the following degree requirements: