Veterans Affairs

J.C. Kellam Building Room 105
Telephone: 512-245-2641

Students attending Texas State (TXST), while receiving educational assistance under one of the public laws for veterans and/or their dependents, must utilize the VA Portal provided at to submit a Certification Request and upload the required forms.

All students applying for GI Bill® or Hazlewood benefits must provide digital copies of required documents for their specific benefit type to our online certification request system. Required documents are listed here: Do not email, fax, or mail  documents to the office as they will be deleted, shredded, or returned via US Post. Requests for benefit processing are completed online each semester.

All students must follow their degree requirements to receive the maximum benefit payout. Students who are eligible for Hazlewood are subject to Academic Progress for Waivers and Exemptions (APWE) policies. For more information, go to

It is the student's responsibility to notify the Office of Veterans Affairs of any adds, drops, course, or program changes.

No benefit pays the university directly for living or meal expenses, which are due prior to the start of each semester. GI Bill® benefit payments are made in arrears.

Pending Payment Compliance

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679(e), Texas State University adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33), or Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, once confirmed to be eligible and while payment to the institution is pending from VA.  Texas State University will not:

  • Prevent the student’s enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to the student;
  • Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny the student access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students are required to:

  • Produce the VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) by the first day of class;
  • Complete the online request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).