Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) Major in Communication Studies (Teacher Certification in Speech, Grades Seven through Twelve)
Minimum required: 120 semester credit hours
- All students pursuing teacher certification must apply and be accepted to the Office of Educator Preparation.
The general education core curriculum courses are listed in the degree plan below along with the statewide component code number. See the General Education Core Curriculum section of this catalog for the Texas State requirements and options in the core curriculum, including Honors courses.
- In addition to the general education core curriculum requirements, the Bachelor of Arts degree (B.A.) requires three additional hours of English literature, three hours of math/science/logic/computer science courses, six hours of 2000-level modern language courses and a minor.
- The core courses required of all Communication Studies students are COMM 1310, COMM 2315, COMM 2330, COMM 2338, COMM 3301 and COMM 3302.
- To satisfy graduation requirements for teacher certification, students must have at least a 2.75 Overall GPA. A GPA of at least 2.50 in all assigned courses in the professional sequence with no grade below a “C”.
- In addition to the major and minor requirements, students must also complete 21 hours of professional sequence courses through the College of Education. All coursework must be completed prior to EDST 4681.
- For transfer students, 12 semester credit hours in Communications (or equivalents) may be transferred from a Texas public institution of higher education for the Communications Field of Study (FOS) and be applied to the Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Communication Studies at Texas State University. More information about the Field of Study is available in the Academic Policies section of this catalog. The transferable Texas Common Course Number (TCCN) is listed below the Texas State University course number in the following course list. In the case where there is no Texas State University course number equivalent to a TCCN number, an elective will be counted.
Course List Code Title Hours COMM 1310 Fundamentals of Human Communication 3TCCN: SPCH 1311 COMM 2338 Public Speaking 3TCCN: SPCH 1315 COMM 2315 Interpersonal Communication 3TCCN: SPCH 1318 COMM Elective 3TCCN: SPCH 1321 Total Hours 12
- The minimum number of hours required for this degree program is 120. The number of free elective hours a student will complete depends on the number of hours a student may need to achieve the required 120 total or 36 advanced hours.
The Texas Education Agency (TEA) requires multiple background checks for progression through the Educator Preparation Program. Based on information recorded in your criminal history, you may be ineligible for issuance of a teaching certificate upon completion of the Educator Preparation Program. If you have a criminal history, you may obtain a Preliminary Criminal History Evaluation from TEA. For more information, go to: https://tea.texas.gov/Texas_Educators/Investigations/Preliminary_Criminal_History_Evaluation-FAQs/.
|COMM 1310 (Component Area Option Code 090/091)||3|
|ENG 1310 (Communication Component Code 010)||3|
|ENG 1320 (Communication Component Code 010)||3|
|Mathematics Component Code 020 select one from:||3|
|POSI 2310 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070)||3|
|POSI 2320 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070)||3|
|ART 2313, DAN 2313, MU 2313, or TH 2313 (Creative Arts Component Code 050)||3|
|Social and Behavioral Sciences Component Code 080||3|
|ENG Literature (Component Area Option Code 090/094)||3|
|PHIL 1305 or 1320 (Language, Philosophy, and Culture Component Code 040)||3|
|American History Component Code 060||6|
|Life and Physical Sciences Component Code 030||6|
|Modern Language 1410||4|
|Modern Language 1420||4|
|COMM Advanced Elective||3|
|Choose one of the following:||3|
|BA ENG Literature||3|
|Modern Language 2310||3|
|BA Computer Science, Logic, Mathematics or science||3|
|COMM Advanced Elective||3|
|Modern Language 2320||3|
|Total Hours: 120|