Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) Major in Communication Studies (Teacher Certification in Speech, Grades Seven through Twelve)
Minimum required: 120 semester credit hours
- All students pursuing teacher certification must apply and be accepted to the Office of Educator Preparation.
The general education core curriculum courses are listed in the degree plan below along with the statewide component code number. See the General Education Core Curriculum section of this catalog for the Texas State requirements and options in the core curriculum, including Honors courses.
- In addition to the general education core curriculum requirements, the Bachelor of Arts degree (B.A.) in Communication Studies with Teacher Certification requires three additional hours of English literature, three additional hours of math/science/logic/computer science courses, six hours of 2000-level modern language courses, and a minor. For this program, the additional math/science/logic/computer science course may be satisifed by COMM 3301, and the second major in Education fulfills the minor requirement.
- The core courses required of all Communication Studies students are COMM 1310, COMM 2315, COMM 2330, COMM 2338, COMM 3301 and COMM 3302.
- A second major in Education is required.
- To satisfy graduation requirements for teacher certification, students must have an Overall GPA of at least 2.75, as well as grades of “C” or better in all courses within the Major(s), Teaching Field(s), Certification area(s), and/or in the Education Minor.
- This degree program is designed to prepare students for secondary teacher certification in Speech and requires that students pursue a double major by delcaring and completing requirements for both the major in Communication Studies and the major in Education. The following courses are requiremed for the major in Education:
Course List Code Title Hours CI 2310 Education for Change 3 CI 3325 Adolescents and Society 3 CI 4332 Secondary Teaching: Curriculum and Technology 3 CI 4343 Instructional Strategies for the Secondary Teacher 3 CI 3340 Teaching for Linguistic Diversity 3 SPED 4344 Educating Students with Mild Disabilities 3 CI 4370 Building Relationships in the Secondary Classroom 3 CI 4372 Teaching in Communities 3 RDG 3323 Teaching Literacies in the Content Areas 3 EDST 4681 Student Teaching 7-12 6 Total Hours 33
- The Texas Education Agency (TEA) requires multiple background checks for progression through the Educator Preparation Program. Based on information recorded in your criminal history, you may be ineligible for issuance of a teaching certificate upon completion of the Educator Preparation Program. If you have a criminal history, you may obtain a Preliminary Criminal History Evaluation from TEA. For more information, go to: https://tea.texas.gov/Texas_Educators/Investigations/Preliminary_Criminal_History_Evaluation-FAQs/.
- For transfer students, 6 semester credit hours in Curriculum and Instruction and Special Education may be transferred from a Texas public institution of higher education for the Associate of Arts in Teaching Field of Study and be applied to the Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Education at Texas State University. More information about the Field of Study is available in the Academic Policies section of this catalog. The transferable Texas Common Course Number (TCCN) is listed below the Texas State University course number in the following course list.
Course List Code Title Hours CI 2310 Education for Change 3 TCCN: EDUC 1301 SPED 4344 Educating Students with Mild Disabilities 3 TCCN: EDUC 2301
- For transfer students, 12 semester credit hours in Communications (or equivalents) may be transferred from a Texas public institution of higher education for the Communications Field of Study (FOS) and be applied to the Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Communication Studies at Texas State University. More information about the Field of Study is available in the Academic Policies section of this catalog. The transferable Texas Common Course Number (TCCN) is listed below the Texas State University course number in the following course list. In the case where there is no Texas State University course number equivalent to a TCCN number, an elective will be counted.
Course List Code Title Hours COMM 1310 Fundamentals of Human Communication 3 TCCN: SPCH 1311 COMM 2338 Public Speaking 3 TCCN: SPCH 1315 COMM 2315 Interpersonal Communication 3 TCCN: SPCH 1318 COMM Elective 3 TCCN: SPCH 1321 Total Hours 12
- The minimum number of hours required for this degree program is 120. The number of free elective hours a student will complete depends on the number of hours a student may need to achieve the required 120 total or 36 advanced hours.
|COMM 1310 (Component Area Option Code 090/091 [TCCN SPCH 1311])||3|
|ENG 1310 (Communication Component Code 010 [TCCN ENGL 1301])||3|
|ENG 1320 (Communication Component Code 010 [TCCN ENGL 1302])||3|
|Mathematics Component Code 020||3|
|POSI 2310 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070 [TCCN GOVT 2306])||3|
|POSI 2320 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070 [TCCN GOVT 2305])||3|
|ART 2313, DAN 2313, MU 2313, or TH 2313 (Creative Arts Component Code 050 [HUMA 1315])||3|
|Social and Behavioral Sciences Component Code 080||3|
|ENG Literature (Component Area Option Code 090/094/040)||6|
|American History Component Code 060||6|
|Life and Physical Sciences Component Code 030||6|
|Modern Language 1410||4|
|Modern Language 1420||4|
|Choose one of the following:||3|
|Modern Language 2310||3|
|COMM Advanced Elective||6|
|Modern Language 2320||3|
|Total Hours: 120|