Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) Major in Communication Studies (Teacher Certification in Speech, Grades 7-12)
Minimum required: 120 semester credit hours
- Any student admitted to Texas State may declare and be admitted under the temporary pre-program status. With this status, students may enroll in the following communication courses, COMM 1310, COMM 2315, COMM 2330, and COMM 2338. Once a student has accumulated at least 45 hours and has an Overall GPA of at least 2.50, the student may then declare a major in Communication Studies. Only students admitted to the major will be able to register for additional upper level courses.
- All students pursuing teacher certification must apply and be accepted to the Office of Educator Preparation.
The general education core curriculum courses are listed in the degree plan below along with the statewide component code number. See the General Education Core Curriculum section of this catalog for the Texas State requirements and options in the core curriculum, including Honors courses.
- In addition to the general education core curriculum requirements, the Bachelor of Arts degree (B.A.) requires three additional hours of English literature, three hours of math/science/logic/computer science courses, six hours of 2000-level modern language courses and a minor.
- The core courses required of all Communication Studies majors are COMM 1310, COMM 2315, COMM 2330, COMM 2338, COMM 3301 and COMM 3302.
- To satisfy graduation requirements for teacher certification, students must have at least a 2.75 Overall GPA. A GPA of at least 2.50 in all assigned courses in the professional sequence with no grade below a “C”.
- In addition to the major and minor requirements, students must also complete 21 hours of professional sequence courses through the College of Education. All coursework must be completed prior to EDST 4681.
- The minimum number of hours required for this degree program is 120. The number of free elective hours a student will complete depends on the number of hours a student may need to achieve the required 120 total or 36 advanced hours.
|COMM 1310 (Component Area Option Code 090/091)||3|
|ENG 1310 (Communication Component Code 010)||3|
|ENG 1320 (Communication Component Code 010)||3|
|Mathematics Component Code 020 select one from:||3|
|POSI 2310 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070)||3|
|POSI 2320 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070)||3|
|ART 2313, DAN 2313, MU 2313, or TH 2313 (Creative Arts Component Code 050)||3|
|Social & Behavioral Sciences Component Code 080||3|
|ENG Literature (Component Area Option Code 090/094)||3|
|PHIL 1305 or 1320 (Language, Philosophy & Culture Component Code 040)||3|
|Life & Physical Sciences Component Code 030||6|
|Modern Language 1410||4|
|Modern Language 1420||4|
|HIST 1310 (American History Component Code 060)||3|
|HIST 1320 (American History Component Code 060)||3|
|COMM Advanced Elective||3|
|Choose one of the following:||3|
|BA ENG Literature||3|
|Modern Language 2310||3|
|BA Computer Science, Logic, Mathematics or science||3|
|COMM Advanced Elective||3|
|Modern Language 2320||3|
|Total Hours: 120|