An international student is defined as anyone who is not a United States citizen. A permanent resident is required to meet the same admission requirements established for U.S. citizens and should complete a U.S. Students Application.
International students should complete the International Student Application (either ApplyTexas or Coalition for College). Students must submit the application and all academic credentials, including proof of English proficiency* by the Priority Date or Deadline. A certified English translation must accompany the original academic records, if the originals are not in English. A non-refundable $90.00 (USD) application fee is required of all international applicants.
*Proof of English Proficiency
Students whose native language is something other than English must present proof of English proficiency. Texas State accepts either of the following measures of English proficiency for regular admission:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) minimum score of 550 (paper-based test) or 78 total score (internet-based test) with the following minimum section scores: 19 in Reading, 19 in Listening, 19 in Speaking and 18 in Writing
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) minimum score of 6.5 with at least a 6.0 in each section
The TOEFL or IELTS will be waived for applicants who meet one of the following criteria:
- Graduated from a U.S. high school and completed three full years of regular English (non-ESL) course work. Students who meet these criteria will be held to the same admission standards as U.S. applicants, and are encouraged to submit an SAT or ACT, if available
- Successfully complete at least three consecutive years of high school within an exempt country including three years of regular English with a grade of B or better
- Scored a 520 or higher on the SAT I Evidence-based Reading and Writing, or 21 or higher on the ACT English component.
- Scored an International Baccalaureate grade of 4 or higher in English A1 or A2 (Higher Level or Standard Level) or English B (Higher Level)
- Earned a bachelor's degree from an accredited U.S. college or university
- Successfully completed 45 or more semester hours of transferable credit from an accredited U.S. college or university
- Successfully completed 45 or more semester hours of transferable credit from an accredited college or university within an exempt country
- Successfully completed 30 semester hours of credit to include College Writing I and College Writing II with grades of C or higher (ESL courses do not count as transferable courses)
- Scored an Advanced Level exam in English Language on GCE, GCSE, IGCSE or HKCEE with grade of C or higher, or
- Successfully completed all level 5500 Texas State Intensive English classes with composite grade of A or B and positive recommendation from the program director
International students who meet the established admission requirements but do not yet have the required level of English proficiency may be eligible for the Texas State Intensive English (TSIE) program.
To learn more about the program, its courses, application procedures and dates, cost of attendance and support services, call, email or visit the TSIE offices. NOTE: acceptance into the program does not guarantee admission to Texas State.
Freshman applicants who will be graduates of a foreign secondary school must demonstrate above-average classroom achievement and present an academic profile equivalent to that of a U.S. high school curriculum. Freshman applicants who will be graduates of a U.S. high school, and have completed at least two years in a U.S. high school, must meet the same admission requirements as those of U.S. applicants, including optional SAT or ACT score submission.
Transfer applicants from within the U.S., as well as those transferring from foreign universities, must meet the grade point average (GPA) criteria outlined below. Transfer applicants will have varying cumulative transfer GPA requirements based on the number of transferable hours submitted.
- Students with 15 or fewer credit hours must meet a cumulative GPA requirement of a 2.0 as well as meet freshman admission standards.
- Students with 16-29 transfer credit hours must meet a cumulative GPA of a 2.5.
- Students with 30 or more transferable credit hours must meet a cumulative GPA of 2.25 (additional review will be completed for applicants to the McCoy College of Business Administration.)