An international student is defined as anyone who is not a United States citizen. A permanent resident alien who has completed two or more years and graduated from a U.S. high school is required to meet the same admission requirements established for U.S. citizens.
International students should complete the International Student Application of the ApplyTexas application. Students must submit the application and all academic credentials by the Priority Date or deadline. A non-refundable $90.00 application fee (USD) is required of all international applicants. Freshman applicants who will be graduates of a foreign secondary school must demonstrate above-average classroom achievement and present an academic curriculum equivalent to that of a U.S. high school curriculum. Freshman applicants who will be graduates of a U.S. high school and have completed at least two years in a U.S. high school must meet the same admission requirements as those of U.S. applicants.
The grade point average (GPA) requirement for all transfer students is 2.25 or 3.25 for applicants to the McCoy College of Business Administration. International transfer applicants from within the U.S. as well as those transferring from foreign universities must meet the GPA criteria outlined above.
Applicants must submit original academic records (or copies which have been certified by an appropriate school official) of all secondary and post-secondary course work, examination results, SAT or ACT test scores (directly from the testing center), certificates awarded, and/or diplomas. A certified English translation must accompany the original academic records if the originals are not in English.
Students whose native language is something other than English must present proof of English proficiency. Texas State accepts the following measures of English proficiency for regular admission:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) minimum score of 550 (paper-based test) or 213 (computer-based test), or 78 total score (internet-based test) with the following 3 out of 4 minimum section scores: 19 in Reading, 19 in Listening, 19 in Speaking and 18 in Writing, or
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) minimum score of 6.5 with a 6.0 in each section
The TOEFL or IELTS will be waived for applicants who:
- Graduated from a U.S. high school and completed three full years of regular English (non-ESL) course work. Students who meet these criteria are also expected to submit an ACT or SAT for admission purposes and will be held to the same admission standard as U.S. applicants, or
- Successfully completed at least three consecutive years of high school within an exempt country including three years of regular English with a grade of B or better, or
- Scored a 520 or higher (if taken after March 2016) on the SAT I Evidence-based Reading and Writing, or 21 or higher on the ACT English component. If taken prior to March 2016, an SAT I verbal score of 500 or higher, or
- Scored an International Baccalaureate grade of 4 or higher in English A1 or A2 at the Higher Level or Standard Level or English B at the Higher Level, or
- Earned a bachelor's degree from an accredited U.S. college or university, or successfully completed 45 or more semester hours of transferable credit from an accredited U.S. college or university (or from within an exempt country), or
- Successfully completed 30 semester hours of credit to include College Writing I and College Writing II with grades of “C” or higher (ESL courses do not count as transferable courses), or
- Scored an Advanced Level exam in English Language on GCE, GCSE, IGCSE or HKCEE with grade of “C” or higher, or
- Successfully completed all level 5500 Texas State Intensive English classes with composite grade of “A” or “B” and positive recommendation from the program director.
International students who meet the established admission requirements but do not yet have the required level of English proficiency may be eligible for the Texas State Intensive English program (TSIEP).
To learn more about the program, its courses, application procedures and dates, cost of attendance and support services, call, email or visit the TSIE offices. NOTE: acceptance into the program does not guarantee admission to Texas State.