International Students and SEVIS Transfer
F1 International Students Transferring to Texas State from Another SEVIS-Approved U.S. Institution
International students who are on F-1 visa status and wish to transfer to Texas State must meet all academic and immigration requirements. Students who have been admitted into an academic program at Texas State should follow the steps below to initiate the transfer of their SEVIS record. This is a separate procedure not to be confused with the transfer admission process managed by the Offices of Undergraduate or Graduate Admission. Submitting all the required academic transfer information and gaining admission to Texas State doesn’t complete the SEVIS transfer process.
- Once admitted to Texas State you must,
- Request you I-20 from International Student and Scholar Services: https://www.international.txstate.edu/prospective/requireddocs.html
- Inform your current DSO to transfer your SEVIS record to Texas State using the school code: SNA214F00331000
- After the release date of your SEVIS record,
- International Student and Scholar Services will review all required documents and issue a new I-20.
- You can either request a shipping label to have your I-20 shipped to you or pick-up your I-20 at the International Scholar Services.
- All new F-1 international students must complete a mandatory immigration check-in with International Student and Scholar Services prior to the first day of classes: http://www.international.txstate.edu/prospective/CheckIn.html.
- SEVIS transfer students must begin classes at the transfer-in school the next available term or within five months of the student’s last day of classes at the transfer-out school, whichever is sooner, or within five months of the program completion date on the student’s current Form I-20 or EAD granted for OPT.
- If a student completes a course of study or OPT, the student is eligible for transfer through the end of the 60-day grace period. Students who are terminated or out of status should contact International Student and Scholar Services prior to transferring their SEVIS record to Texas State.
- If a student is planning to travel abroad, the student must re-enter the US with the I-20 from the school that holds the student’s SEVIS record at the time. If the release date passes while the student is abroad, International Student and Scholar Services will create the student a new I-20 as long as the student has submitted an I-20 request.
- A student’s authorization for OPT or CPT ends on the transfer release date or the end of the work authorization whichever one is earlier.
F1 International Students Transferring to Another SEVIS-Approved U.S. Institution from Texas State
To transfer from Texas State to another U.S. institution, you must complete the SEVIS Transfer-Out Form, which is posted at http://www.international.txstate.edu/current/TransferOut.html. The form requires you to indicate a release date and a copy of your acceptance letter to a SEVIS-approved institution.
The SEVIS transfer process is separate from the academic transfer process and does not imply a transfer of your academic records. The SEVIS transfer will enable your new institution to issue a new I-20 that will allow you to maintain your F1 visa status.
If you decide to cancel your transfer, you must notify International Student and Scholar Services at Texas State University before the transfer release date. Once the transfer release date has reached, Texas State will no longer have access to your SEVIS record and your new institution will be responsible for the management of your record.
For further information on SEVIS regulations, contact International Student and Scholar Services at 512.245.7966, firstname.lastname@example.org, or www.international.txstate.edu.