Probation and Suspension

A graduate or post-graduate student as defined in this catalog is required to maintain a 3.0 cumulative grade-point average (GPA) for all Texas State University 5000-, 6000-, and 7000-level courses (excluding required leveling courses) listed on a student’s degree audit for a graduate degree. Cumulative GPA’s are computed at the end of the fall term, the spring term, and the summer.

If a graduate student’s cumulative GPA falls below 3.0 during any term of enrollment at Texas State, the student will be placed on academic probation. In the next term of enrollment, the student must raise his or her cumulative graduate GPA to 3.0 or above or be suspended from further graduate study at Texas State. When the student has achieved a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 at the end of the term of probation, the student will be removed from probation status.


A student on suspension may petition the graduate dean for permission to re-enroll in The Graduate College. An appeal form for the graduate dean is available on The Graduate College's website. This written appeal should include additional supporting documentation. The appeal will be reviewed by the graduate advisor and subsequently by the dean of The Graduate College. Each readmission decision is made on an individual basis and the dean of The Graduate College's decision is final. If a reinstatement is approved, the date of the reinstatement depends on the timing of the appeal, program policies, and/or conditions of the reinstatement. If a student is readmitted after being suspended, the student must maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA or be suspended again. Individual graduate programs may also impose additional cumulative GPA or course restrictions for their students.

Change of Major

Graduate students on probation may not change programs or admission status without a recommendation and special request from the prospective department. The dean of The Graduate College will review the request when making the final decision. If a suspended student wants to pursue a different program, the student must petition the dean of The Graduate College for permission. The written appeal should include a justification. If the dean of The Graduate College grants permission to a student to pursue a different program, the student must submit an application for admission and comply with instructions as identified earlier under the degree-seeking admission requirements section of the catalog. This procedure must be completed in ample time to meet the admission deadlines. Acceptance in one program does not guarantee acceptance in another program. 

Financial Aid

If a student is receiving financial aid, the student must also meet the satisfactory academic progress requirements for financial aid. See the Financial Aid section under General Information for further details.