Bachelor of Science (B.S.) Major in Advertising and Mass Communication
Minimum required: 120 semester credit hours
- Any student admitted to Texas State may declare and be admitted to the program under a temporary status called pre-mass communication. Once a student has accumulated at least thirty credit hours and meets the requirements outlined below, the student will be admitted to the school in full-major status. Students who fail to meet these requirements will not be admitted to the major.
- An overall GPA of at least a 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- A grade of a “C” or higher in the following courses or their equivalents:
Course List Code Title Hours COMM 1310 Fundamentals of Human Communication 3 ENG 1310 College Writing I 3 ENG 1320 College Writing II 3 MC 1100B Grammar for Journalists 1 1 MC 1301 Introduction to Mass Communication 3
Note: Or a score of 70 or higher on the school's Punctuation, Usage and Grammar (PUG) test. The PUG is given by the Texas State Testing, Research-Support and Evaluation Center on the main campus. The PUG is administered weekly; call 512.245.2276 for testing times. There is a fee of $40 per test. Students enrolled at the Round Rock Campus should call the One Stop Center at (512) 716-4000 for testing information.
The general education core curriculum courses are listed in the degree plan below along with the statewide component code number. See the General Education Core Curriculum section of this catalog for the Texas State requirements and options in the core curriculum, including Honors courses.
- In addition to the general education core curriculum, this major requires three additional hours of English literature, three hours of math/science/logic/computer science courses and a minor.
- Majors must select a minor from the approved list of Undergraduate Minors.
- All students in this degree program must earn a "C" or higher in each of four core courses in Mass Communication, which include:
Course List Code Title Hours MC 1301 Introduction to Mass Communication 3 MC 1313 Media Writing 3 MC 4301 Media Law and Ethics 3 MC 4381 Fundamentals of Digital and Online Media 3
- All students in this degree program must earn a "C" or higher in all prerequisite courses and in the following major courses:
Course List Code Title Hours MC 3367 Advertising 3 MC 3372 Advertising Media Planning 3 MC 4333 Creative Thinking & Advertising Concepting 3 MC 4317 Account Planning 3
|COMM 1310 (Component Area Option Code 090/091)||3|
|ENG 1310 (Communication Component Code 010)||3|
|ENG 1320 (Communication Component Code 010)||3|
|Mathematics Component Code 0201||3|
|POSI 2310 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070)||3|
|POSI 2320 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070)||3|
|ART 2313, DAN 2313, MU 2313, or TH 2313 (Creative Arts Component Code 050)||3|
|Social & Behavioral Sciences Component Code 080||3|
|ENG Literature (Component Area Option Code 090/094)||3|
|PHIL 1305 or 1320 (Language, Philosophy & Culture Component Code 040)||3|
|Life & Physical Sciences Component Code 030||6|
|HIST 1310 (American History Component Code 060)||3|
|HIST 1320 (American History Component Code 060)||3|
|Computer Science, Logic, Mathematics or Science1||3|
& MC 4333
|MC Advanced Elective||3|
|MC Advanced Elective||3|
|Select one of the following:||1|
|Total Hours: 123|
Any mathematics course from the general education core curriculum Mathematics Component may be chosen except MATH 1316.