Bachelor of Science (B.S.) Major in Digital Media Innovation (Sports Media Concentration)
Minimum required: 120 semester credit hours
- Any student admitted to Texas State University with an overall GPA of at least a 2.25 and a “C” or higher in MC 1301 will automatically be admitted to their selected major in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication. If a student does not meet these requirements upon admission, they will be temporarily classified as a pre-major in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication. As soon as the student meets any missing requirements, they will be admitted to their selected major in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication.
The general education core curriculum courses are listed in the degree plan below along with the statewide component code number. See the General Education Core Curriculum section of this catalog for the Texas State requirements and options in the core curriculum, including Honors courses.
- All students seeking B.S. or B.A. degrees within the School of Journalism and Mass Communication must complete ENG 1310, ENG 1320 and COMM 1310 or their equivalent courses to meet degree requirements. Most students will meet these requirements through their general education core curriculum.
- In addition to the general education core curriculum, this major requires three additional hours of English literature, three hours of math/science/logic/computer science courses and a minor.
- Students must select a minor from the approved list of Undergraduate Minors.
- All students in this degree program must earn a "B" or higher in MC 4315 and MC 4326.
- All students in this degree program must earn a "C" or higher in each core courses in Mass Communication and the following major courses:
Course List Code Title Hours MC 1301 Introduction to Mass Communication 3 MC 1313 Media Writing 3 or MC 3313 Foundations of Public Relations Writing MC 4301 Media Law and Ethics 3 MC 4381 Fundamentals of Digital and Online Media 3 MC 4328 Digital Media Innovation Capstone 3
|COMM 1310 (Component Area Option Code 090/091)||3|
|ENG 1310 (Communication Component Code 010)||3|
|ENG 1320 (Communication Component Code 010)||3|
|Mathematics Component Code 0201||3|
|POSI 2310 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070)||3|
|POSI 2320 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070)||3|
|ART 2313, DAN 2313, MU 2313, or TH 2313 (Creative Arts Component Code 050)||3|
|Social and Behavioral Sciences Component Code 080||3|
|ENG Literature (Component Area Option Code 090/094)||3|
|PHIL 1305 or 1320 (Language, Philosophy, and Culture Component Code 040)||3|
|MC 1313 or 3313||3|
|MC 3311 or 4324||3|
|Life and Physical Sciences Component Code 030||6|
|American History Component Code 060||6|
|Computer Science, Logic, Mathematics or science1||3|
|Select six hours from the following:||6|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Select one of the following:||1|
|Total Hours: 120|
Any mathematics course from the general education core curriculum Mathematics Component may be chosen except MATH 1316.