Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) Major in Dance (Single Field Teacher Certification in Dance, Grades 8-12)
Minimum required: 120 semester credit hours
- The Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) major in Dance teacher certification requires admission to the university and admission to the program. For more information visit: http://www.theatreanddance.txstate.edu/dance/Undergraduate-Degrees.html
- Admission to the Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) degree with a major in Dance is based on an audition in either the fall or spring semester prior to the year of admittance. Students in the program are always on probation, with their work and progress continually evaluated. There is a formal review at the end of the sophomore year that determines whether each student may advance to the upper-level training. Transfer students will be reviewed at the end of their first long semester. Students will be expected to maintain appropriate artistic and academic standards at the discretion of the Dance faculty.
- All students pursuing teacher certification must apply and be accepted to the Office of Educator Preparation.
- The general education core curriculum courses are listed in the degree plan below along with the statewide component code number. See the General Education Core Curriculum section of this catalog for the Texas State requirements and options in the core curriculum, including Honors courses.
- Teacher certification majors must maintain an overall GPA of 2.75, a major GPA of 2.75, and a GPA of 2.75 in all required education courses. Students who fail to do so will be advised into another program.
- In addition to the major requirements, students must also complete 21 hours of professional sequence courses through the College of Education. All coursework must be completed prior to EDST 4681.
- Summer course work may be need to complete the degree in a timely manner.
|ENG 1310 (Communication Component Code 010)||3|
|ENG 1320 (Communication Component Code 010)||3|
|POSI 2310 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070)||3|
|HIST 1310 (American History Component Code 060)||3|
|COMM 1310 (Component Area Option Code 090/091)||3|
|Social & Behavioral Sciences Component Code 080||3|
|PHIL 1305 or 1320 (Language, Philosophy & Culture Component Code 040)||3|
|DAN 1160 or 2161||1|
|DAN 1180 or 2181||1|
|DAN 1190 or 2191||1|
|MATH 1315, 1319, 2417, or 2471 (Mathematics Component Code 020)||3|
|HIST 1320 (American History Component Code 060)||3|
|POSI 2320 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070)||3|
|ENG Literature (Component Area Option Code 090/094)||3|
|Life & Physical Sciences Component Code 030||6|
|DAN 2160 or 2161||1|
|DAN 2181 or 3182 (twice)||2|
|DAN 2191 or 3292||1-2|
|ART 2313, DAN 2313, MU 2313, or TH 2313 (Creative Arts Component Code 050)||3|
|DAN 3365 or 4350||3|
|DAN 2161, 3162, 3151, or 3152||1|
|DAN 2191 or 3292||1-2|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|DAN 2181 or 3182||1|
|Total Hours: 120-122|