Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) Major in Theatre (Teacher Certification in Theatre, Early Childhood through Grade Twelve)
Minimum required: 125 semester credit hours
- All students pursuing teacher certification must apply and be accepted to the Office of Educator Preparation.
- The general education core curriculum courses are listed in the degree plan below along with the statewide component code number. See the General Education Core Curriculum section of this catalog for the Texas State requirements and options in the core curriculum, including Honors courses.
- An all-level (EC-12) teacher certification in the theatre program consists of a minimum of 41 semester hours, with at least 24 hours advanced.
- All Theatre students are encouraged to participate in theatre production activities each semester.
- In addition to the major requirements, students must also complete 21 hours of professional sequence courses through the College of Education. All coursework must be completed prior to EDST 4380 and EDST 4381.
- Teacher certification students in Theatre must maintain an overall GPA of 2.75, a major GPA of 2.75, and a GPA of 2.75 in all required education courses. Students who fail to do so will be advised into another program.
The Texas Education Agency (TEA) requires multiple background checks for progression through the Educator Preparation Program. Based on information recorded in your criminal history, you may be ineligible for issuance of a teaching certificate upon completion of the Educator Preparation Program. If you have a criminal history, you may obtain a Preliminary Criminal History Evaluation from TEA. For more information, go to: https://tea.texas.gov/Texas_Educators/Investigations/Preliminary_Criminal_History_Evaluation-FAQs/.
|ENG 1310 (Communication Component Code 010)||3|
|ENG 1320 (Communication Component Code 010)||3|
|POSI 2310 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070)||3|
|POSI 2320 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070)||3|
|COMM 1310 (Component Area Option Code 090/091)||3|
|MATH 1315, 1319, 2417, or 2471 (Mathematics Component Code 020)||3|
|ENG Literature (Component Area Option Code 090/094)||3|
|American History Component Code 060||6|
|Social and Behavioral Sciences Component Code 080||3|
|PHIL 1305 or 1320 (Language, Philosophy, and Culture Component Code 040)||3|
|ART 2313, DAN 2313, MU 2313, or TH 2313 (Creative Arts Component Code 050)||3|
|Life and Physical Sciences Component Code 030||6|
|Total Hours: 125|