Visiting/Exchange Applicants

If a student is currently pursuing a graduate degree at another institution, the student may enroll in graduate courses at Texas State with the permission of the dean of The Graduate College and the graduate advisor of the Texas State program, and the student's primary institution. The intent of this program is for students to transfer the degree credit earned at Texas State back to the primary institution; therefore credit earned as a visiting student may not be eligible for Texas State degree programs should students decide to pursue one at later time.

Admission Requirements for U.S. Citizens

The items listed below are required for admission consideration for semesters of entry during the 2017-2018 academic year (Fall 2017, Spring 2018, and/or Summer I and II 2018). For submission instructions, additional details and admission requirements for semesters beyond 2017-2018 (if applicable), please visit the appropriate program page.

  • completed online ApplyTexas application
  • $10 nonrefundable application fee
  • $50 nonrefundable international evaluation fee (if applicable)
  • transcripts not required
  • visiting student form requiring:
    • approval to take the course from the primary institution, or the institution granting the degree
    • approval from the graduate advisor or department chair in the program/department offering the course at Texas State

Return the visiting student form signed by all appropriate parties for the dean of The Graduate College to approve at least two weeks prior to registration. The form must be completed prior to enrollment each term students enroll as a visiting student.

Admission requirements for International Applicants

An international applicant is defined as an applicant who is not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States. All international applicants fall under regulation of the United States Department of Homeland Security. Federal law governs university rules regarding non-U.S. citizens; hence, admission requirements for international applicants, including permanent residents, differ from those for U.S. citizens.

The following items, in addition to those listed above, are required for admission consideration for semesters of entry during the 2017-2018 academic year (Fall 2017, Spring 2018 and/or Summer I and II 2018).

International Visiting Applicants

  • $50 nonrefundable international evaluation fee. (The application fee for international students is $10 plus the $50 evaluation fee for a total application fee of $60)
  • official English proficiency exams scores

International Exchange Students

  • the $10 application and the $50 international evaluation fees are waived
  • official English proficiency exams scores or the completed English Proficiency Waiver Form for Graduate Exchange Students

Refer to the International Admission Documents section of this catalog or the internationals applicant webpages for more information about these requirements. Immigration documents should be submitted to the International Office.