Students currently pursuing graduate degrees at another institution may enroll in graduate courses at Texas State with the permission of the dean of The Graduate College and the graduate advisor of the Texas State academic program, and the student's primary institution. Visiting students are taking courses at Texas State to transfer credit back to their graduate-degree-granting institution and are not eligible for financial aid or certain veteran benefits.
Admission Requirements for U.S. Citizens
The items listed below are required for admission consideration:
- completed online application
- $20 nonrefundable application fee OR
- $60 nonrefundable application fee for applications with international credentials
- visiting student form requiring:
- approval to take the course from the primary institution, or the institution granting the degree
- approval from the graduate advisor or department chair in the program/department offering the course at Texas State
Visiting students should return the form signed by all appropriate parties for the dean of The Graduate College to approve at least two weeks prior to registration. The form must be completed prior to enrollment each term students wish to enroll as visiting students.
Admission requirements for International Applicants
An international applicant is defined as anyone who is not a United State citizen. All international applicants fall under regulation of the United States Department of Homeland Security. Federal law governs university rules regarding non-U.S. citizens; hence, admission requirements for international applicants differ from those for U.S. citizens.
The following items, in addition to those listed above, are required for admission consideration for international applicants or applicants with international credentials:
International Visiting Applicants
- official English proficiency exams scores
International Exchange Students
- the application fee is waived
- official English proficiency exams scores or the completed English Proficiency Waiver Form for Graduate Exchange Students
Refer to the International Admission Documents section of this catalog or the international applicant webpages for more information about these requirements. Immigration documents should be submitted to the International Office.