Professional and Master Teacher Certification Applicants

Professional and master teacher certifications are available in: principal, master reading teacher, master mathematics teacher, master technology teacher, counselor, superintendent, and reading specialist. To sit for the state exams, students must have a master’s degree and teaching experience in Texas public schools. These programs are offered as stand-alone certifications or as part of a master's degree (master's degree + certification). Refer to each individual departmental section of this catalog for specific information or visit The Graduate College's website.

Admission Requirements for U.S. Citizens

Stand-Alone Certifications (Principal, Superintendent, and Master Math Teacher - Elementary)

The items listed below are required for admission consideration:

  • completed online application
  • $20 nonrefundable application fee
    • or
  • $60 nonrefundable application fee for applicants with international credentials
  • baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
  • official transcripts from each institution where course credit was granted
  • minimum 2.75 GPA on the last 60 hours of undergraduate course work toward a degree
  • copy of official teaching certificate documenting initial teaching certification
  • copy of official teaching service record documenting at least one year's teaching experience
  • copy of official principal certificate* (for superintendent certification applicants only)
  • three letters of recommendation (master math teacher only)
  • statement of purpose (master math teacher only)

Master's Degree + Certification Programs

Master's ProgramCertification Program
Educational LeadershipPrincipal
Elementary Education - Master Math (EC-4)Master Math Teacher (Elementary)
Reading EducationReading Specialist (Master Reading Teacher optional)
Professional CounselingSchool Counseling

Admission Requirements for International Applicants

An international applicant is defined as anyone who is not a United States citizen. All international applicants fall under regulations of the United States Department of Homeland Security. Federal law governs university rules regarding non-U.S. citizens; hence, admission requirements for international applicants differ from those for U.S. citizens.

The following items, in addition to those listed for U.S. citizens, are required for admission consideration. These items apply only to the stand-alone certification programs.

  • official transcripts from every institution attended: on in the native language and one certified English translation (if transcripts are issued in a language other than English)
  • a copy of the graduation/degree certificate (diploma) showing the type of degree and the date in which the degree was earned
  • official (iBT) TOEFL scores of 78 or higher, with a minimum of 26 on the speaking section and a minimum of 19 in all other sections. The Texas Education Agency (TEA) does not accept any other English proficiency exams.

Refer to the International Admission Documents section of this catalog or The Graduate College's website for more information about these requirements.

F-1 Visa Enrollment Requirements

A student under F-1 student visa must be enrolled full-time (nine hours) in the fall and spring terms. An F-1 student does not have to enroll during the summer if they student is eligible and intends to register for the next term. A new initial F-1 student who recently gained admission into the U.S. with a program start date set to begin with the summer session must enroll full-time for that summer session. Also, international students not holding an assistantship can be enrolled in fewer than 9 hours and be considered full-time under two conditions: a) if they have completed all course work and are completed an internship integral to their degree program, b) if they have completed all course requirements and are working on their thesis/dissertation only. The exception under a) can be granted for one semester only, the exception under b) can be granted for multiple semesters provided the student makes progress on the thesis/dissertation.  Please contact the International Office at 512-245-7966 for more information.