Bachelor of Science in Family and Consumer Sciences (B.S.F.C.S.) Major in Consumer Affairs (Teacher Certification in Family and Consumer Sciences, Grades 6-12)
Minimum required: 120 semester credit hours
- All students pursuing teacher certification must apply and be accepted to the Office of Educator Preparation.
The general education core curriculum courses are listed in the degree plan below along with the statewide component code number. See the General Education Core Curriculum section of this catalog for the Texas State requirements and options in the core curriculum, including Honors courses.
- In addition to general education core curriculum and degree requirements, this major pursuing Teacher Certification in Family and Consumer Sciences is required to take from 6 to 12 semester hours in each of the following areas: nutrition and foods, family and child development, fashion merchandising, interior design, consumer science, and occupational family and consumer sciences.
- An Overall GPA of 2.75 is required for graduation with teacher certification.
- In addition to the major and degree requirements, students must also complete 12 hours of professional sequence courses through the College of Education. All coursework must be completed prior to FCS 4681.
- Students must complete a minimum of 36 advanced hours (3000 or 4000 level courses).
- Nine semester credit hours must be writing intensive (WI).
- Students must demonstrate competency in basic clothing construction techniques.
- Students participate in FCS 4681 student teaching for pre-professional experience.
- If two years of the same modern language are taken in high school, then no additional language hours will be required for the degree.In the absence of modern language taken in high school, then two semesters of the same modern language (1410 and 1420) must be taken at the college level, and the requirement will be added to the student's degree audit.
|ENG 1310 (Communication Component Code 010)||3|
|ENG 1320 (Communication Component Code 010)||3|
|HIST 1310 (American History Component Code 060)||3|
|POSI 2310 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070)||3|
|Mathematics Component Code 020||3|
|Life & Physical Sciences Component Code 030||6|
|COMM 1310 (Component Area Option Code 090/091)||3|
|ENG Literature (Component Area Option Code 090/094)||3|
|HIST 1320 (American History Component Code 060)||3|
|PHIL 1305 or 1320 (Language, Philosophy & Culture Component Code 040)||3|
|POSI 2320 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070)||3|
|Social & Behavioral Sciences Component Code 080||3|
|ART 2313, DAN 2313, MU 2313, or TH 2313 (Creative Arts Component Code 050)||3|
|Total Hours: 120|