Bachelor of Science in Family and Consumer Sciences (B.S.F.C.S.) Major in Nutrition and Foods
Minimum required: 120 semester credit hours
The general education core curriculum courses are listed in the degree plan below along with the statewide component code number. See the General Education Core Curriculum section of this catalog for the Texas State requirements and options in the core curriculum, including Honors courses.
- In addition to general education core curriculum requirements, this major is required to take courses in biology, and specialized courses in food systems, food science, nutritional assessment, physiology and nutrition, wellness and fitness, life span nutrition, and food service management. Course options include medical nutrition therapy, advanced food science, and nutrition and genetics.
- A Texas State and major GPA of 2.50 or higher is required to graduate.
- Majors participate in an externship.
- A minor is required, and those in biology, Business Administration, and Chemistry are recommended.
- Majors must complete a minimum of 36 advanced hours (3000 or 4000 level courses).
- Nine semester credit hours must be writing intensive (WI).
- If two years of the same modern language are taken in high school, then no additional language hours will be required for the degree.In the absence of modern language taken in high school, then two semesters of the same modern language (1410 and 1420) must be taken at the college level, and the requirement will be added to the student's degree audit.
|BIO 1330 (Life & Physical Sciences Component Code 030)||3|
|CHEM 1341 (Life & Physical Sciences Component Code 030)||3|
|ENG 1310 (Communication Component Code 010)||3|
|ENG 1320 (Communication Component Code 010)||3|
|COMM 1310 (Component Area Option Code 090/091)||3|
|HIST 1310 (American History Component Code 060)||3|
|MATH 1315 or 1319 (Mathematics Component Code 020)||3|
|POSI 2310 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070)||3|
|HIST 1320 (American History Component Code 060)||3|
|PSY 1300 or SOCI 1310 (Social & Behavioral Sciences Component Code 080)||3|
|PHIL 1305 or 1320 (Language, Philosophy & Culture Component Code 040)||3|
|POSI 2320 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070)||3|
|ART 2313, DAN 2313, MU 2313, or TH 2313 (Creative Arts Component Code 050)||3|
|Minor (at least 12 hours advanced)||15|
|ENG Literature (Component Area Option Code 090/094)||3|
|Total Hours: 120|