Bachelor of Science in Family and Consumer Sciences (B.S.F.C.S.) Major in Nutrition and Foods (Teacher Certification in Hospitality, Nutrition, and Food Sciences, Grades 8-12)
Minimum required: 129 semester credit hours
- All students pursuing teacher certification must apply and be accepted to the Office of Educator Preparation.
The general education core curriculum courses are listed in the degree plan below along with the statewide component code number. See the General Education Core Curriculum section of this catalog for the Texas State requirements and options in the core curriculum, including Honors courses.
- In addition to general education core curriculum requirements, this major is required to take courses in biology and specialized courses in food systems, food science, nutritional assessment, physiology and nutrition, wellness and fitness, lifespan nutrition, food service management and hospitality.
- Students participate in FCS 4681 student teaching for pre-professional experience and an internship.
- To satisfy graduation requirements for teacher certification, students must have at least a 2.75 Overall GPA. A GPA of at least 2.50 in all assigned courses in the professional sequence with no grade below a “C”.
- In addition to the major and degree requirements, students must also complete 12 hours of professional sequence courses through the College of Education. All coursework must be completed prior to FCS 4681.
- Majors must complete a minimum of 36 advanced hours (3000 or 4000 level courses).
- Nine semester credit hours must be writing intensive (WI).
- If two years of the same modern language are taken in high school, then no additional language hours will be required for the degree.In the absence of modern language taken in high school, then two semesters of the same modern language (1410 and 1420) must be taken at the college level, and the requirement will be added to the student's degree audit.
|BIO 1330 (Life & Physical Sciences Component Code 030)||3|
|CHEM 1341 (Life & Physical Sciences Component Code 030)||3|
|ENG 1310 (Communication Component Code 010)||3|
|ENG 1320 (Communication Component Code 010)||3|
|COMM 1310 (Component Area Option Code 090/091)||3|
|HIST 1310 (American History Component Code 060)||3|
|MATH 1315 or 1319 (Mathematics Component Code 020)||3|
|POSI 2310 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070)||3|
|HIST 1320 (American History Component Code 060)||3|
|PSY 1300 or SOCI 1310 (Social & Behavioral Sciences Component Code 080)||3|
|ENG Literature (Component Area Option Code 090/094)||3|
|PHIL 1305 or 1320 (Language, Philosophy & Culture Component Code 040)||3|
|POSI 2320 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070)||3|
|NUTR 3363 or 4365||3|
|ART 2313, DAN 2313, MU 2313, or TH 2313 (Creative Arts Component Code 050)||3|
|Total Hours: 128|