Bachelor of Science in Family and Consumer Sciences (B.S.F.C.S.) Major in Fashion Merchandising
Minimum required: 120 semester credit hours
The general education core curriculum courses are listed in the degree plan below along with the statewide component code number. See the General Education Core Curriculum section of this catalog for the Texas State requirements and options in the core curriculum, including Honors courses.
- A minor in Business Administration is required for this major. Courses for the minor in Business Administration are included in the following degree plan.
- This major is required to take specialized courses in Fashion Merchandising including culture and consumer behavior, textiles, textile product analysis, fashion buying principles, fashion merchandising, fashion history, fashion merchandising administration, fashion economics, and fashion promotional strategies.
- Students participate in an internship in a related area.
- Students must complete a minimum of 36 advanced hours (3000 or 4000 level courses).
- Nine semester credit hours must be writing intensive (WI).
- If two years of the same modern language are taken in high school, then no additional language hours will be required for the degree. In the absence of modern language taken in high school, then two semesters of the same modern language (1410 and 1420) must be taken at the college level, and the requirement will be added to the student's degree audit.
- Students must pass all required Fashion Merchandising courses with a “C” or higher.
|COMM 1310 (Component Area Option Code 090/091)||3|
|ENG 1310 (Communication Component Code 010)||3|
|ENG 1320 (Communication Component Code 010)||3|
|HIST 1310 (American History Component Code 060)||3|
|MATH 1315 or 1319 (Mathematics Component Code 020)||3|
|POSI 2310 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070)||3|
|HIST 1320 (American History Component Code 060)||3|
|Life & Physical Sciences Component Code 030||6|
|POSI 2320 (Government/Political Science Component Code 070)||3|
|ART 2313, DAN 2313, MU 2313, or TH 2313 (Creative Arts Component Code 050)||3|
|FM 3335 or 3336||3|
|Social & Behavioral Sciences Component Code 080||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|ENG Literature (Component Area Option Code 090/094)||3|
|PHIL 1305 or 1320 (Language, Philosophy & Culture Component Code 040)||3|
|FM 4000-Level Electives||9|
|Select four of the following:||12|
|Total Hours: 120|